I will be going as this:
This is going to be a HUGE task. Thank god for the internet.
So first of all I've been doing some research into exactly how I should construct the wings, since I figure that they'll take the most time out of my life. I came across http://www.the-avariel.com in which the webmaster - Rachael I think - had SO MUCH information on making large-scale professional wings. Check it out if you ever get the time :D
From what I'd gathered though her wings seem to be posable - kind of like an action figure - which is nifty... but not exactly the wow factor I want my costume to have. Then through her links on her forums I found this which I thought was more omgwtfepic than Gumby-wings.
The main thing I have to think about at the moment is what exactly I'll be making them from. I mean I'll be walking around with these things strapped to my back for a fair chunk of the day and I don't exactly have the best back because of my work. Main possibilities are aluminium piping, foam and liquid latex for the leathery look, OR garbage bags for the wing membrane.
It didn't really occur to me that the heavier I make the framework, the lighter I'll have to make the wingwork. I.e. if I were to use PVC pipe for the frame I'd probably go with the painted garbage bag membrane idea. Al-piping would probably give me enough working space to try foam and latex (cause the Al is lighter than PVC so I can make heavier membranes.).
Drawn up a very basic plan on the workings and mechanics of my wings. Shall post them soonish.

0 comments:
Post a Comment